Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program
The Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program (OSDCP) provides high quality dental care to all seniors who qualify. Seniors are more prone to dental decay, gum disease, and oral cancer than other groups, so it is important to have regular dental checkups. Untreated dental issues can lead to more problems in the future, including chronic disease. If you are unable to afford dental care, this program may be for you.
What are the eligibility criteria for the OSDCP?
You may be eligible if you:
- are 65 or older
- are a resident of Ontario
- have an annual net income of $19,300 or less for a single person or a combined annual net income of $32,300 or less for a couple
- have no access to any other form of dental benefits (e.g. private insurance or other government program)
What services are covered?
- examinations and assessments
- preventive services
- restorative services to repair broken teeth and cavities
- oral surgery to remove teeth or abnormal tissue
- endodontic services to treat infection and pain
- periodontal services to treat gum conditions and diseases
- prosthodontic services, including dentures, will also be covered to a certain extent under the OSDCP
Where can I get dental care?
In Hastings and Prince Edward Counties, the OSDCP is being delivered through Public Health. In some jurisdictions, the program may also be delivered by Community Health Centres (CHC), Aboriginal Health Access Centres (AHAC), as well as mobile dental clinics.
How is OSDCP being rolled out?
OSDCP is being rolled out in a phased approach. On November 20, 2019, access to the full range of dental services will vary across the province. The program will continue to expand in the coming year.
How do I apply?
There are several options available for applying for the OSDCP.
- apply online at Ministry of Health website - ontario.ca/SeniorsDental
- print, fill out, and mail your application
- visit one of the Hastings Prince Edward Public Health offices to pick up an application form and/or get help completing your application.
What happens if I am approved?
Once your application has been approved, you will be mailed a welcome package and a dental card. To receive dental services, you must have your dental card and book an appointment. You can book an appointment with Hastings Prince Edward Public Health by calling 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 680.
If you have questions about receiving services in Hastings Prince Edward,
Please call our Oral Health Program.
613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 680.
If you have questions about the OSDCP in general,
Please call the Ministry of Health.
Toll-Free 1-833-207-4435 TTY 1-800-855-0511
or go to ontario.ca/seniorsdental