- Our Child Health CARELine can connect clients directly with public health nurses.
- Our Infant Feeding Programs and Services are available to support families with breastfeeding and infant feeding.
- The Healthy Babies Healthy Children program provides home visits by a public health nurse to qualifying families with children up to six years of age. More information is available below.
Child Health CARELine
Public Health Nurses from our Child and Reproductive Health Program are available to speak with clients by phone to answer their questions about infant feeding, parenting, growth and development, and more. Our nurses can also connect clients with other programs and services to help support them as a parent. We invite you to use our CARELine poster to promote this service.
The CARELine is also available for professionals seeking information or wishing to make referrals to our programs and services. To reach us, call 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 223, or text 450-990-5551.
Healthy Babies Healthy Children
Ontario’s Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) program provides home visits by a public health nurse to families with children up to six years of age that may benefit from additional prenatal, postpartum or parenting support. HBHC is a free, confidential and voluntary service for families that qualify for the program.
The following are possible indicators for a referral to HBHC:
- prenatal health conditions or medical complications during pregnancy
- prenatal smoking, alcohol or drug use
- preterm or multiple birth
- mother is less than 18 years of age
- mother has not completed high school
- parental history of depression, anxiety or mental illness
- single parent, relationship stressors or lack of support
- parenting concerns
- concerns regarding the child’s health or growth and development
- financial stressors
- family does not have a primary care provider
- family is new to Canada
- family has involvement with the Children’s Aid Society (CAS)
Making a Referral to HBHC
Referrals can be made, with the family’s consent, by calling 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 269.
Resources for Health Care Providers
- Electronic Looksee Checklist
- Enhanced 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Brochure – Parent Version
- Enhanced 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Brochure – Professional Version
- Enhanced 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Referral Map
- Getting it right at 18 months: In support of an enhanced well-baby visit
- MacHealth 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Web Portal
- Nutri-eSTEP Screening Tool – assesses child’s eating habits and identifies nutrition problems
- Pediatric Nutrition Guidelines (Birth to Six Years) For Health Professionals
- Rourke Baby Record
- WHO Growth Chart Assessment and Counselling