Did you know? Over the recent months, there has been growing evidence that certain groups of our population are being disproportionately affected by COVID-19. Based on local data from September 1, 2020 – December 14, 2020, we found the following:
- 38% of COVID-19 cases are aged 20-29 years old which is much higher than expected as this age group only makes up 10.6% of the HPEPH population.
- 32% of COVID-19 cases have been associated with workplace outbreaks. Most of these outbreak-related cases are from workplaces with 50+ employees.
- 6% of households in HPEPH have 5 or more persons living in the home while at least 22% of cases live in households of 5 or more individuals. These high-occupancy household cases also have substantially more high-risk contacts and are linked to more cases than lower-occupancy households.
HPEPH has launched a targeted public health campaign aimed at increasing COVID-19 testing and lowering infection rates within this age group.
Get TESTED for COVID-19 if you are 29-29 years old and have ANY symptoms, even if they are mild (such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, pink eye, headache, sore throat, running nose, stomach upset, fatigue, loss of smell or taste)
- AND share a bedroom with a roommate
- OR live with 5 or more people
- OR work where physical distancing is difficult
- OR are a post-secondary student
Testing is free and confidential, even if you do not have an Ontario Health Card. You won’t get in trouble and help protect others.