These programs can provide resources to people with COVID-19, as well those affected by the pandemic such as people who are unable to work or taking care of someone with the virus.
Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
Up to $500/week for workers who are unable to work for at least 50% of the work week because they contracted COVID-19 or need to self-isolate for reasons related to COVID-19.
Canada Recovery Benefit
For workers who have stopped working or had their income reduced by at least 50% due to COVID-19, and who are not eligible for Employment Insurance (EI).
Other federal supports for individuals and families can be found here, and include:
- Employment Insurance (EI) program
- Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) – For workers:
- unable to work for at least 50% of the week because they must care for a child under the age of 12 or family member because schools, day-cares or care facilities are closed due to COVID-19
- because the child or family member is sick and/or required to quarantine or is at high risk of serious health implications because of COVID-19.
Provincial Emergency Assistance
People can qualify for this assistance if they live in Ontario, are affected by COVID-19, and need help with food and housing costs. The amount depends on each specific situation. For example, they may get:
- approximately $733 for a month for a single person and need help paying for food and shelter/rent
- more if they have children
- up to 48 days of support depending on your specific situation
If you are a newcomer to Canada you can call Quinte Immigration Services and connect with one of their settlement workers. They can work with you to review what benefits you are eligible to receive from the government. They may also be able to connect you to other immigration related resources. You can reach them at 613-968-7723.