Young children may consume more than half of their daily food while in child care. Child care providers are responsible for providing food and beverage choices that support healthy growth and development and for reinforcing positive eating behaviours and attitudes that can last a lifetime.
Our Programs and Services
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health has a number of programs and services to help support you in providing a supportive nutrition environment in your child care centre.
Healthy Life Line
Public Health Dietitians are available to answer your questions about child care menu planning, supportive nutrition environments, and more. Our dietitians can also connect you with other programs and services to help support you as a child care provider. Call 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 610.
Online Learning Module
This short module will introduce child care providers to the nutrition requirements set out by the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 (section 42 of Ont. Reg. 137/15).
Content for the module is based on the following child care nutrition resources created by Ontario Dietitians in Public Health (ODPH):
- Menu Planning & Supportive Nutrition Environments in Child Care Settings – Practical Guide
- Menu and Nutrition Environment Self-Assessment Tool for Child Care Settings
- Paint Your Plate: A Toolkit for Ontario Child Care Providers
To access these resources, please visit www.odph.ca/child-care-resources.
Food Access Guide
Public Health has created a set of Food Access Guides that contain information about free or low-cost food and meal programs in various regions of Hastings and Prince Edward Counties.
The Nutrition Directory contains a comprehensive list of local reliable and credible nutrition programs and services for the public.
- NutriSTEP – Nutrition Screening Tool for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Eat Right Be Active: Resources for Caregivers Toddlers (12-36 months), Preschoolers (3-5 years), Children (6-8 years)
- Unlockfood.ca Information on nutrition, food, and healthy eating along with recipes, videos, and interactive tools.