Moulds are naturally occurring and widespread in the environment, so it is impossible to avoid being exposed. Exposure to mould indoors may exacerbate asthma and is associated with upper respiratory tract symptoms, e.g. coughing and wheezing. There is however, insufficient evidence to prove a direct link between mould and human health. If you have health concerns talk to your health care professional.
To reduce your indoor exposure to mould you should address the underlying structural or maintenance related issues, e.g. water leaks, moisture build-up. If you are a tenant, you should speak with your landlord regarding necessary repairs, or you may wish to contact the property standards officer for your municipality.
- Mould – Health Canada