Quitting smoking is the single best thing you can do to improve your life and health. You may smoke for many reasons, but you have better reasons to quit. Think about your reasons for quitting and what you want to achieve, whether it be health, relationships, or finances. If you are ready to quit, we can help.
Our Programs and Services
Quit Smoking Clinics
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health supports anyone who is considering taking a step towards quitting smoking. We offer:
- We Can Quit Smoking Clinics, where participants will receive support and access to low-cost nicotine replacement therapy (patches, gum, lozenges, spray, inhalers) for $5 and $10 per product.
- Free quit smoking information kits.
We also offer home visits to pregnant women and new moms with a baby (up to 12 months of age) who want to quit smoking. Through this program mothers can access:
- Free nicotine replacement therapy (patch, gum, lozenges)
- Free quit kit resources
- Help to make a quit plan
- Support for her and her partner
Why Quit Smoking?
Tobacco use remains the leading cause of preventable disease and death in Canada. If they don’t quit, half of all smokers will die of a smoking related disease. There is no safe level of tobacco use or exposure to second-hand smoke.
The burning of tobacco produces smoke that contains more than 7000 chemicals, including nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide. These chemicals are harmful to the person who is smoking, but also those exposed to smoke.
Nicotine is an addictive drug that affects the brain and nervous system. It acts as a stimulant and increases heart rate and breathing. Smoking cigarettes and using other forms of tobacco is both physically and mentally addictive.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas formed when tobacco is burned. Carbon monoxide lowers the amount of oxygen carried in your blood, and therefore limits how much oxygen your body gets.
Quitting smoking improves the quality and length of your life and the lives of those around you. You start to become healthier the day you quit.
Benefits of Quitting
- Your blood pressure and heart rate drop within 20 minutes of quitting
- The amount of oxygen in your blood improves within 8 hours and carbon monoxide levels normalize within 12 hours
- Within 2 weeks to 3 months, your circulation improves and your lungs begin to work better
- Your risks of heart attack, stroke and cancer all decrease
- You will also save money, smell better, not have to go outside in the cold to smoke, be able to do more physical activities, taste food better and be a good role model to those around you