Hastings and Prince Edward Counties/June 10, 2021
The province has announced that all of Ontario will move into Step 1 of its reopening plan at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, June 11, several days earlier than originally projected thanks to continuing improvements in key public health and health system indicators and provincial vaccination rates. In Hastings Prince Edward Counties (HPEC), 117,205 residents have been vaccinated. 101,930 residents (60%) have at least one dose of vaccine, and 15,275% (9%) are fully immunized.
“I recognize that many residents are eager to enjoy activities permitted in Step 1, but please make responsible choices to protect our progress,” said Dr. Piotr Oglaza, Medical Officer of Health and CEO at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health. “If you choose to gather with others, respect gathering limits, stay outside, and maintain physical distance from individuals who are not part of your household. Get vaccinated as soon as possible – it’s the best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.”
The province will remain in Step One of the Roadmap to Reopen for a minimum of 21 days. The following activities are permitted:
- Outdoor social gatherings (e.g. reunions, celebrations, wedding receptions) and organized public events with up to 10 people, while maintaining physical distancing;
- Outdoor religious services, rites, or ceremonies, including wedding services and funeral services, capped at the number of people that can maintain a physical distance of two metres (Please note, as indicated above, outdoor wedding receptions are limited to the social gathering limit of 10)
- Indoor religious services, rites, or ceremonies, including wedding services and funeral services permitted at up to 15 per cent capacity of the particular room;
- Non-essential retail permitted at 15 per cent capacity, with no restrictions on the goods that can be sold;
- Essential and other select retail permitted at 25 per cent capacity, with no restrictions on the goods that can be sold;
- Outdoor dining at dining establishments with up to four people per table, with exceptions for larger households, persons living alone, and caregivers;
- Outdoor fitness classes, outdoor groups in personal training and outdoor individual/team sport training to be permitted with up to 10 people, among other restrictions;
- Day camps for children permitted to operate accordance with the Reopening Regulations and in a manner consistent with the safety guidelines for COVID-19 produced by the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health;
- Overnight camping at campgrounds and campsites, including Ontario Parks, and short-term rentals;
- Concert venues, theatres and cinemas may open outdoors for the purpose of rehearsing or performing a recorded or broadcast concert, artistic event, theatrical performance or other performance with no more than 10 performers, among other restrictions;
- Outdoor horse racing tracks and motor speedways permitted to operate without spectators; and
- Outdoor attractions such as zoos, landmarks, historic sites, botanical gardens with capacity and other restrictions.
The HPEPH Class Order issued earlier in the pandemic which prohibited certain businesses from offering services to individuals from outside of the region has been rescinded. However, all provincial guidance and precautions for permitted business operations in Step 1 must be followed. While inter-provincial travel is permitted, HPEPH continues to advise all residents to avoid close contact with those outside your household. If you travel to visit friends or family members, ensure you only gather outside and maintain gathering limits and physical distancing. As indoor social gatherings continue to be prohibited, please avoid hosting overnight guests from outside your household.
For more information:
- Additional information about Step 1 is available at Ontario.ca
- Resources for local workplaces are available at hpePublicHealth.ca/healthy-workplaces. Local business owners/operators who are unable to find answers to their questions on our web page are invited to complete our online inquiry form.
- Vaccination information is available at hpePublicHealth.ca/vaccine-booking/
- Current Class Orders applicable in HPEC are available at hpePublicHealth.ca/class-orders/
Emily Tubbs, Communications Specialist